Social Security Disability Resource Web Site

Experienced Disability lawyer

Click here now for a Free Review of Your Claim by an Experienced Social Security Disability Lawyer

ssdAnswers - Social Security Disability blog

ssdRadio - Social Security Disability podcast

Disabled Widow’s Benefits - How to Claim

   As part of its Disability Insurance Benefit program, Social Security permits disabled widow or widower to collect Title II disability benefits based on the earnings record of a deceased spouse.

   In order to collect, the disabled widow(er) must:

  • be disabled (i.e. meet the definition of disability for Social Security purposes)
  • be between the ages of 50 and 60
  • have become disabled within 7 years of his/her spouse’s death

   If you meet these criteria, then you can and should apply for DIWB (disabled widow’s benefits) by calling SSA at 800-772-1213.

   Widow’s benefits are designed to compensate stay at home moms (or dads) who did not earn money in the workplace, but who contributed to their families in non-monetary ways.

   A disabled ex-spouse can collect on his/her former spouse’s earnings record if:

  • you had been married to your former spouse for at least 10 years
  • you have been divorced for at least two years
  • you are at least 62 years old
  • you are unmarried
  • you are not otherwise eligible for higher benefits on your own or another’s earnings recor
[Home] [Definitions] [Title II SSDI] [Title XVI SSI] [Phone app.] [Online app.] [What to say] [Docs Needed] [SSDI Forms] [How to Prove] [Listings] [Functioning] [The Grids] [Appeal Forms] [Appeal Deadlines] [Early Decisions] [My Spouse] [My Children] [Hiring Lawyer] [Need Lawyer?] [Find a Lawyer] [Widows] [Workers Comp] [L.T.Disab.] [Med. Records] [Submit Records] [Prove Pain] [Prove Pain] [Delays] [Speed It Up] [Your Hearing] [Hearing Attire] [Voc. Witness] [Do's & Don'ts] [Overpayments] [Case Studies] [About Us]

This site copyright © 2008-2013 Rent-my-Brain Internet Marketing.  All rights reserved.  No copyright claimed for official government publications.